All Records are being displayed.
Remembering January 18
Births, Birthdays, Deaths, Holidays, & Events
- 1778 - James Cook is the first known European to discover the Hawaiian Islands, which he names the "Sandwich Islands".
- 1788 - The first elements of the First Fleet carrying 736 convicts from Great Britain to Australia arrive at Botany Bay. [MORE]
- 1892 - Oliver Hardy (American actor and comedian) - died 8/7/1957 at age 65 [MORE]
- 1896 - An X-ray generating machine is exhibited for the first time by H. L. Smith.
- 1904 - Cary Grant (English-American actor) - died 11/29/1986 at age 82 [MORE]
- 1905 - Joseph Bonanno (Italian-American mob boss) - died 5/11/2002 at age 97 [MORE]
- 1911 - Danny Kaye (American actor, singer, and dancer) - died 3/3/1987 at age 76 [MORE]
- 1911 - Eugene B. Ely lands on the deck of the USS Pennsylvania anchored in San Francisco Bay, the first time an aircraft landed on a ship. [MORE]
- 1919 - World War I: The Paris Peace Conference opens in Versailles, France.
- 1955 - Kevin Costner (American actor, director, and producer) (66) [MORE]
- 1967 - Albert DeSalvo, the "Boston Strangler", is convicted of numerous crimes and is sentenced to life imprisonment.
- 1983 - The International Olympic Committee restores Jim Thorpe's Olympic medals to his family. [MORE]
- 1990 - Washington, D.C. Mayor Marion Barry is arrested for drug possession in an FBI sting.
- 2001 - Mad & the Monster meet Don & Diane Walker for the first time in person (and took the scenic route through LA trying to find Barney's Beanery)